Download our FREE smartphone app today!
At Harris Academy Purley we have high expectations of all, in everything we do. This includes personal appearance. Uniform plays an important role in establishing the ethos of our school. We believe that our uniform policy benefits the school in a number of ways:
- it encourages identification with the school and nurtures the notion of community
- it protects students from social pressures to dress in a particular way
- it supports discipline and good behaviour and ensures the health and safety of students
- it instils a sense of pride in the school
- it promotes more effective teaching and learning
Full cooperation with our dress code enables staff to concentrate their time and effort on teaching and learning. The decision about what is and is not acceptable will always remain with the school. Students are expected to adhere to the uniform rules on the journey to and from school, as well as on the Academy site.
Anyone arriving at school in non-uniform clothing will be expected to collect alternative items to be worn from Student Services upon arrival, in exchange for an item which will be returned when the borrowed items are brought back. Students found to be wearing inappropriate clothing after the start of the day will have the item(s) confiscated, and will receive a 30 minute detention on the same day.
Several garments in our uniform, specifically those with our badge printed or embroidered on, can only be purchased through our official uniform supplier. Any other item can be purchased from a supplier or clothing retailer of your choice.
Academy Blazer (mandatory)
- The academy blazer is mandatory uniform, available from our official supplier.
- The blazer is navy blue with gold trim and our badge embroidered on the front.
Blazers are to be worn at all times, including in the classroom. A teacher may give permission for it to be removed during their lesson.
Trousers / Skirts (mandatory)
- Trousers / Skirts are mandatory uniform that can be purchased from any clothes retailer.
- Trousers must be plain black, regular fit. They can be worn by boys or girls.
- Skirts must be plain black, classic style.
Trousers made of canvas or denim or cut as a 'skinny fit' are not permitted.
- Shirts are mandatory uniform that can be purchased from any clothes retailer.
- Shirts for boys and girls must be plain white with buttons.
- Short and long sleeves are permitted.
Faculty Tie (mandatory)
- This is mandatory uniform, available from our official supplier.
- Our ties are colour-coded to the student's faculty.
At least 5 stripes should be visible.
Socks / Tights (mandatory)
- These are mandatory uniform that can be purchased from any clothes retailer.
- Socks should be plain black and ankle-height.
- Tights should be plain black or skin coloured.
- Shoes are mandatory uniform that can be purchased from any clothes retailer.
- They must be plain black leather with black soles and void of any decorative stitching or logos.
Boots, black trainers, plimsolls, canvas shoes and suede shoes may not be worn.
School Bag (mandatory)
- A plain black backpack with the academy's badge embroidered on the front is available from our official supplier.
- Year 10 and 11 students must have either our official backpack or a plain black bag without logos or decoration. The bag must be able to hold an A4 folder.
Academy Jumper (optional)
- Our v-neck jumper is optional uniform, available from our official supplier.
- The jumper is navy with gold trim around the neck.
No other jumpers, cardigans, sweatshirts, hoodies or waistcoats are permitted.
- Coats are optional uniform that can be purchased from any clothes retailer.
- They must be plain black or plain navy blue without logos, patterns or markings.
Denim jackets, sweatshirts, tracksuit tops, hooded tops and combination tops are not permitted as top coats. These will be confiscated if visible.
Headwear and Religious Clothing
- Religious headwear may be worn (for religious purposes only) and should be either plain black or navy blue.
Baseball caps, hats and bandannas may not be worn.
- Hair should be neat, tidy and appropriate for a professional working environment (as defined by the school).
Extreme styles and unnatural hair colouring is not be permitted. This includes shaved lines in hair or eyebrows.
- Subtle make-up in neutral colours is permitted.
- Nails should be at a length that cannot cause injury to others (as defined by the school).
Nail varnish is not permitted.
Jewellery / Tattoos / Piercings
- Students may wear two small gold or silver stud earrings in each ear.
- It is an offence under UK legislation to tattoo a person under the age of 18 except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a medical practitioner.
Nose studs, facial studs, ear expanders, rings, bracelets and any other form of jewellery or piercing is not permitted.
Mandatory PE Kit
All PE kit must be purchased from our official supplier. Every item has the Harris Academy Purley logo printed on it.
- Harris Academy Purley white polo shirt with embroidered badge.
- Harris Academy Purley navy blue rugby shirt with embroidered badge.
- Harris Academy Purley jumper with embroidered badge (optional)
- Plain navy shorts with no logo or trimmings.
- Harris Academy Purley blue football socks.
- Harris Academy Purley navy blue jogging bottoms (optional).
- Training shoes (non-marking) must be brought to every PE lesson and Extension/Enrichment activity.
Where a student is unable to wear appropriate footwear for medical reasons, they will be expected to provide a written request from their parent/carer. Should permission to continue to wear alternative shoes on medical grounds be sought beyond one week, the Academy requests that a doctor’s note is provided.