Download our FREE smartphone app today!
At Harris Academy Purley we have high expectations of all, in everything we do. This includes personal appearance. Uniform plays an important role in establishing the ethos of our school. At Harris Academy Purley we believe that our uniform policy benefits the school in a number of ways:
- It encourages identification with the school and nurtures the notion of community
- It protects students from social pressures to dress in a particular way
- It supports discipline and good behaviour and ensures the health and safety of students
- It instils a sense of pride in the school
- It promotes more effective teaching & learning
Full cooperation with our dress code enables staff to concentrate their time and effort on teaching and learning. The decision about what is and is not acceptable will always remain with the school. Students are expected to adhere to the uniform rules on the journey to and from school, as well as on the Academy site.
Anyone arriving at school in non-uniform clothing will be expected to collect alternative items to be worn from Student Services upon arrival, in exchange for an item which will be returned when the borrowed items are brought back. Students found to be wearing inappropriate clothing after the start of the day will have the item(s) confiscated, and will receive a 30 minute detention on the same day.
- Harris Academy Purley navy blazer, with gold trim and embroidered badge. The blazer is to be worn at all times. In the classroom the teacher may give permission for it to be removed.
- Harris Academy Purley navy v-neck jumper with gold trim and embroidered badge (wearing the jumper is optional).
- No other jumpers, cardigans, sweatshirts, hoodies or waistcoats are permitted.
Trousers and Skirts
- Plain black trousers (for boys and girls)
- Classic style black skirts
- Black canvas, denim or skinny trousers are not permitted.
- White collared (top button essential). Tucked in at all times and top button done up.
- All students will wear correctly their House tie or if awarded a Prefect/Colours tie.
- The knot must be closed and the tie of the correct length – a minimum of 5 stripes.
Socks and Tights
- Plain black socks (boys and girls)
- Plain skin coloured or black opaque tights (girls)
- Plain black, leather with black soles and no decorative stitching or carrying an explicit sports logo. Black boots, trainers, plimsolls, canvas or suede shoes may not be worn. (Acceptable shoes are defined by the school).
Headwear and religious clothing
Religious headwear may be worn (for religious purposes only) and should be either plain black or navy blue. Baseball caps, hats and bandannas may not be worn.
- Hair should be neat, tidy and appropriate for a professional working environment (as defined by the school).
- Extreme styles and unnatural hair colouring will not be permitted (as defined by the school).
- Shaved lines in hair or eyebrows are not permitted.
- Nail varnish is not permitted, and nails should not be a length that may cause injury to others (as defined by the school).
- Subtle make-up in neutral colours is permitted.
- Two pairs of small stud earrings; a maximum of two in each ear.
- Ear expanders or any other earrings that are considered by the school to be excessive are not permitted. Students with inappropriate piercings will be required to remove them for the duration that they are in school.
- Nose studs and facial studs are not permitted and must be removed.
- No rings or bracelets may be worn.
- It is an offence under UK legislation to tattoo a person under the age of 18 except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a medical practitioner.
Coats & Bags
- Coats: Plain black or navy blue with no logos, patterns or markings. Denim, sweatshirts, tracksuit tops, hooded tops or combination tops MUST NOT be worn as top coats. They will be confiscated if visible. Denim jackets and coats that the school deems as ‘hoodies’ are not permitted.
- Bags: All students are expected to use a school bag that fits an A4 folder inside, is robust and sensible. All Year 7, 8 and 9 students must have an Academy logo bag. All Year 10 and 11 students must have either an Academy logo bag or a plain black bag with no logos or decorations.
All PE kit must be purchased from Hewitts. Every item has the Harris Academy Purley logo printed on it.
- Harris Academy Purley white polo shirt with embroidered badge.
- Harris Academy Purley navy blue rugby shirt with embroidered badge.
- Harris Academy Purley jumper with embroidered badge (optional)
- Plain navy shorts with no logo or trimmings.
- Harris Academy Purley blue football socks.
- Harris Academy Purley navy blue jogging bottoms (optional).
- Training shoes (non-marking) must be brought to every PE lesson and Extension/Enrichment activity.
Where a student is unable to wear appropriate footwear for medical reasons, they will be expected to provide a written request from their parent/carer. Should permission to continue to wear alternative shoes on medical grounds be sought beyond one week, the Academy requests that a doctor’s note is provided to the Head of House.