Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Continuing Professional Development
The CPD programme at Harris Academy Purley aims to be highly personalised to the needs of each individual member of staff from teachers to classroom support and from technicians to the premises team.
Too often CPD sessions are delivered to staff in a conference format where it is assumed that ‘one size fits all’. In reality we know that this is not optimal for providing staff with the skills that they need to improve their practice and have the most impact possible on student progress and outcomes.
Our comprehensive, rigorous and individualised CPD programme, working with our ITE partners, aims to address this.
Faculty and department meetings
Faculty and Department meetings are scheduled for each week and should include a CPD slot. Department focussed training occurs within subjects and is overseen by Directors of Learning, Lead Practitioners and Subject Leaders.
Department focussed CPD emerges out of each subject’s Self Evaluation Document and Department Development Plan, but typically could include:
- Past paper analysis
- Online webinar courses from exam boards
- Subject knowledge master-classes
- Subject specific pedagogy – for example practical training in Science
DEC / MEC
Replacing Cluster CPD Development Excellent in the Classroom (DEC) and Mastering Excellence in the Classroom (MEC) are short courses – typically over 3 sessions - allowing staff to build a deeper knowledge and skill base in an area self-identified as an area for improvement.
DEC/MECs will combine sessions with learning walks and project work. They are differentiated in the following way:
- DECs are aimed at staff members who are looking to move to outstanding practice in their chosen area, typically Recently Qualified Teachers and those looking to go from Good to Outstanding.
- MECs are aimed at staff members who already have very strong practice in their chosen topic area and are looking to build deep and wider understanding.
Harris Academy Purley has an enviable record of training and developing new teachers, entering the profession for the first time.
All Initial Teacher Education trainees – whether Schools direct, Teach First or PGCE – benefit from a rigorous, comprehensive weekly training plan in addition to the support from their ITE provider.
All trainees have an agreed subject mentor and a detailed mentor programme is delivered by mentors on a weekly basis with a minimum of one lesson observation per week.
ITE is overseen by the ITE Lead Ms Mahmud and Assistant Principal Ms Pengelly.
Whether HAPU trained or joining us for your induction year New Qualified Teachers are fully supported at Harris Academy Purley.
All NQTs benefit from a reduced timetable, identified subject mentor and bi-weekly NQT training.
The Induction and the NQT CPD programme is overseen by Induction Lead Ms Karteepan and Assistant Principal Ms Pengelly.
Main-scale and leadership staff
At Harris Academy Purley we firmly believe that teacher learning does not finish with Induction and we are proud that we allocate an hour every week to Continuous Professional Development, as part of directed time. We aim to combine essential all-staff training, with an individualised approach which develops a colleague, whatever their experience or starting point.
- Staff are given a personal budget of 40 hours per academic year. This time is separate from any department/faculty meetings or CPD that occurs within the usual school day and is additional to Whole Academy INSET days.
- Each colleague will be asked to put together a CPD plan at the start of the year indicating the intention of how they will spend their budget. This must ultimately be agreed with the Faculty Director.
CPD opportunities are divided into a range of compulsory and optional sessions, to ensure consistency across the Academy, but also so that individual staff members can meet their individual development needs.
- 6 hours are allocated to Learning and Teaching development. These will be created by the Assistant Principal for LTCPD, but delivered within Faculties.
- 12 hours are allocated to Curriculum development. These will be organised by Faculty Directors.
- Additional Academy Priority CPD sessions, as determined by the Senior Leadership team.
- Whole Academy INSET days.
- Up to 6 ours can be allocated to Subject knowledge development. These will be agreed with Subject Leaders, or Faculty Directors as appropriate.
- Up to 6 hours can be spent on Coaching & Leadership Pathway programmes. There will be a range of these for colleagues to apply for. For 2012-2021 the Pathways programmes, subject to update, will be;
- Recently Qualified Teachers (RQT)
- Developing as a Middle Leader
- Mastering Middle leadership
- Mastering teaching
- Preparing for School Leadership
- The Assistant Principal CPD programme.
- One to One coaching.
- Up to 6 hours can be spent on discrete ‘Pop Up’ CPD that will be advertised and organised during the year. These could include:
- CPD on Assessment & Feedback
- CPD on Behaviour Management
- CPD on Differentiation
- CPD on different aspects of pedagogy
- Up to 6 hours can be spent on Peer observation.
- Up to 6 hours can be spent on Research and Design. This would be made up of reading educational research, books and studies.
- Up to 6 hours can be spent on external CPD run outside of normal school day. Examples could include for instance Diverse Leaders, Women Leading in Education, or Examiner training.
National Qualifications and Masters in Teaching
The Academy is supportive of staff undertaking National Qualifications (NPQML, NPQSL, NPQH), Chartered Teacher status and Masters-in-teaching. A range of options are available via the Harris Federation teaching school alliance and HE provider partners. Academy support and time for completion of National Qualifications and Masters-in-Teaching is subject to authorisation by the Principal and agreed on an individual basis.
Details of Harris Leadership College programmes:
Details of the Chartered teacher programme:
Details of Masters of Research (Education) from our preferred provider:
|Week 1||Week 2||Week 3||Week 4||Week 5||Week 6||Week 7|
|L&T Development||Curriculum development week||Subject knowledge development||Pop-up week||Academy priorities||Curriculum development week 2||Leadership development coaching sessions|
|Intent, implement and impact||e.g. PFL||e.g. guided reading, joint planning, webinar||e.g. citizenship and RS in Tutor Times||e.g. PFL||e.g. train coaches|
|ITE and NQT||ITE and NQT||ITE||ITE and NQT||ITE||ITE and NQT||ITE|
If you would like further information or you would like to discuss how we develop staff at Harris Academy Purley, please contact: